Andrew Marko was born about December 1866 in Cziganyos, Hungary and died
at 11:30 AM on
3/11/1931 in West Pittston, PA. (Andras Marko, a 26 year old
traveling from Cziganocz, Hungary, arrived in New York on 6/4/1891 on
SS Rhynland which sailed from Antwerp.)
Andrew Marko married Anna Maczko about 1886. Anna Maczko was born about 1867 in Gereny (also known as Horjany and Horjani, now part of Uzhgorod), Hungary and died at 5:30 PM on 6/26/1931 in West Pittston, PA. Anna immigrated about 1893. Andrew and Anna had five children: John, Helen, Margaret, Stephanie, and Andrew. Both Andrew and Anna are believed to have had siblings who remained in Europe. At the time of Andrew's death in 1931, his obituary showed him being survived by a sister in Europe as well as his brother Paul in Kingston, PA. At the time of her death, Anna's obituary showed her survived by a brother, Paul Matzko of Czechoslovakia. Andrew Marko and Anna Maczko Marko are buried at St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Cemetery in Dallas, PA.
The 1900 Federal Census showed the family living on Dewey in the Meyers Patch area of Kingston, PA with two children (John, 4 [written over 6], and Ella, 2). Andro, a coal miner, was 35 and his wife Annie was 30 and they had been married for 16 years. Andro had immigrated in 1890 and was naturalized. Annie had immigrated in 1894 and both had been born in Austria with the children born in PA.
The 1910 Census showed the family living at 211 Church Street in Swoyersville, PA with five living children (Jan, Nellie, Margaret, Stefania, and Andrew Jr.) of eight born. Andrew, a church teacher, was 43 and his wife Annie was 36 and they had been married for 20 years. Andrew was shown as immigrating in 1892 and naturalized. Annie was shown as having immigrated in 1893. Their son Jan was a clerk in a grocery store (probably at the small grocery store Andrew had for a time in Kingston). Andrew and his wife were both shown as Ruthenian.
The 1920 Census showed the family living at 336 Washington Street in West Pittston, PA. Andrew, 54, was an organist, immigrated in 1892 and naturalized in 1896. Anna, 46, immigrated in 1894 and was naturalized in 1896. Their five children were shown as John (a mechanic in a machine shop), Helen (a weaver in a silk mill), Margaret, Stefa (a doubler in a silk mill), and Andrew.
The 1930 Census showed the family living at 524 Second Street in West Pittston, PA. Andrew was 64 and was 20 at the time of his marriage. Anna was 60 and was 16 at the time of her marriage. Andrew was shown as immigrating in 1890 and naturalized. Anna was shown as immigrating in 1893 and naturalized.
Andrew Marko was a cantor (known as a professor in the Greek Catholic Church) for 25 years (including 1904 to 1910 and 1914 to 1918 according to the church site) at St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church in Kingston, PA (located at 321 Chestnut Ave.) and then for 10 years at St. Michael's Byzantine Catholic Church in Pittston, PA (located at 205 N. Main St.). Andrew Marko was active in various Greek Catholic and Carpatho-Rusyn organizations. According to his obituary, he was a charter member of Sojdonna Lodge, Homestead, PA, and of the Sobranja Lodge, also of Homestead, PA. He was active in the Greek Catholic Union of Rusyn Brotherhoods. For the Greek Catholic Union's 7th Convention which was held on June 17-21, 1902 in Johnstown, PA; Andrew Marko of Kingston, PA was shown as a member of the Supreme Tribunal (as shown on p. 30 of a book titled Opportunity Realized: The Greek Catholic Union's First One Hundred Years 1891-1992).
Several references to letters or articles by Andrew Marko appear in the Greek Catholic Union's publication, Amerikansky Russky Viestnik (which translates to American Rusyn Messenger). An index to Amerikansky Russky Viestnick for May 15, 1902 finds a reference to Andrew Marko; Kingston, PA, April 15, 1902 on Kingston's Rusyn community. The July 23, 1903 issue finds a reference to Andrew Marko; Kingston, PA; July 17, 1903 on The July 28, 1903 dedication of the Kingston Greek Catholic Church's iconostasis and altar. Both these articles are in Rusyn in the Cyrllic alphabet. An obituary for Andrej Marko appears in Rusyn in the Latin alphabet in the July 2, 1931 issue of Amerikansky Russky Viestnik.
According to an article,
Carpatho-Rusyn Historical Background: "To give a brief
summary of Ruthenian background history prior to their entrance onto
American soil the following could be said. The Ruthenians of the late
nineteenth and early twentieth centuries could only boast of only two
classes. The clergy/cantor and the peasant." Almost all
Carpatho-Rusyns who emigrated to the U.S.A. were very poor when they
emigrated. A few like the Marko family had some education and were
apparently slightly better off. Andrew Marko and his brother Paul
appear to fall into this category. This resulted in family stories
that the Marko family in Europe had so much much money, they burned it under
their tubs. One family story was that the Markos were land barons in
the Old Country. They had an estate that ran for a distance longer
than that from Scranton to the Wyoming Valley. When the harvest was
sold, the Markos and the serfs who worked the land would meet in a counting
house where gold coins were used to pay everyone's shares. Unfortunately,
the story is that when two sons, Paul and Andrew, decided to emigrate to the
U.S.A., they were disinherited. When the author of this web site
finally visited the "family farm" in Ciganovce in 1995, he found a property
so steep that it was extremely difficult to even walk up the hill. It
would appear that the family inheritance may not have been too difficult to
leave behind after all.
Copyright 2007, 2009, Gregory Kolojeski. All
This page was last updated 03/01/09